Thanks to fundraising initiatives and generous donations by companies, individuals and groups, to date we have managed to establish the following:
- A 24-hour confidential helpline.
- We hold informal monthly support meetings and we hope to provide a safe and friendly environment where any women of any age or at any stage of their treatment or recovery can come and find support with other women
- A comprehensive library on breast cancer and related issues.
- Purchased an extensive collection of wigs to help all chemotherapy patients when choosing a wig. We also provide wig care packs.
- Purchased several state of the art reclining chairs together with personal stereos and a selection of CDs for use by all patients at Bulstrode House (chemotherapy treatment centre) to aid relaxation and even enable sleep during treatment.
- Supported breast care staff on specialised courses.
- Installed a sound system at the Breast Unit to aid relaxation.
- Supported Cancer Research UK, Breast Cancer Care, Breakthrough Breast Cancer, Macmillan Cancer Research, Les Bourgs Hospice & breast cancer research with Hope for Guernsey.
- Paying for lymphoedema treatment for all breast cancer patients.
- Paying for ladies currently receiving treatment to have regular holistic therapy.
- Sending local flowers to ladies having to stay in the UK for radiotherapy treatment, to let them know we are thinking of them and to help them feel at home (this treatment is usually for 6 weeks duration away from home).
- Giving every breast cancer patient in hospital in Guernsey a pink bag with useful items to help them feel better during their hospital stay.
- Training members of our group on effective Listening and Responding skills and Dealing with Loss and Bereavement.
- The Look Good, Feel Better programme was set up in Guernsey in 2006, for all cancer patients - for further details please see
- We have purchased a cupboard for Bulstrode House to properly display the different types of wig available, which we previously bought to help patients choose what suits them best.
- We have set up a “help at home” service whereby we will organise cleaning/ironing help and pay for it if required, for ladies recovering from surgery or currently undergoing treatment.
- We have refurbished the Breast Unit waiting room.
- We have furnished the complementary therapy room in the new Oncology Unit at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital.
- We organised the hugely successful Sunset Coastal Walks of 2007 & 2009, raising in excess of £200,000. The funds raised from the 2007 walk were specificially for our ongoing costs in paying for lymphoedema treatment. The funds raised from the 2009 walk were split between Les Bourgs Hospice (in memory of our Co-Founder Anne McMillan) and the Pink Ladies to pay for specialist diagnostic machinery for the Breast Unit.
- We set up Barney's Travelogue which documents the worldwide adventures of our mascot Barney with members of the Pink Ladies, which shows that there is life after breast cancer.
- We set up this website which we hope is a useful resource for anyone affected by breast cancer.
- We are working on a varied list of speakers for the forthcoming year which will ensure that women are fully informed about cancer, its treatments, complementary therapies, nutrition and anything else considered helpful.
- We are currently raising funds for a new one-stop breast clinic for the Island. All the proceeds from the 2011 Sunset Coastal Walk are going towards this. Lead nurse for cancer and palliative care Karen Leach, said the relocation and expansion of the unit, from the radiology department to what was formerly Bulstrode House, would significantly improve the experience of women attending the facility.
All donations are gratefully received and can be sent to:
Pink Ladies Breast Cancer Support Group
Rue du Pont Vaillant
or telephone our help line on 07781 415131
You can also donate on the Just Giving website:-